Lipstick love

As you may know, I am obsessed with Style magazine, and last weeks issue was full of inspiration. One article that particularly caught my eye was the article on 'The return of the lipstick' in which Style claims that lipstick is the force that separates the women from the girls. Whilst I think that they are talking rubbish in parts of the article; (“Lip gloss is very easy access — it’s reality TV, it’s all about exposure,” - Poppy King a.k.a Lipstick Queen) it is true that lipstick can feel like one of the most powerful weapons in your beauty arsenal. It is possible to be a 'femme fatale' in a classic red or a 'natural goddess' in a barely there pink. The May issue of Glamour magazine has also jumped onto the lipstick bandwagon with 4 pages devoted to finding the perfect shade to work for you, perfect for a lipstick fiend like yours truly!


My favourite pages were the 'Glam lipstick' and 'Punk lipstick', as I am drawn to reds, corals and bright pinks. At the moment I have 8 lipsticks that are in constant rotation, some newer than others!




From L-R they are:
  • Barry M in 129 
  • Rimmel Lasting Finish in 006 'Pink Champagne' 
  • Barry M in 146 
  • Collection 2000 Colour Extreme in 06 'Hotpants' 
  • Rimmel Colour Show off in 130 'Love Me' 
  • Rimmel Colour Show off in 110 'Pink Gossip' 
  • Rimmel Colour Show off in 030 'Tell No One' 
  • No. 7 Moisture Drench in 110 'Daredevil' 
I find that lipstick is an easy (and fun!) way to brighten up your outfit and instantly look more polished without too much effort. The abundance of lipsticks available make it easy to find your favourite and stick to it. One issue I have had though is the is the unnecessary shimmer (IMHO) that is found at nearly every make up counter. With lipsticks I prefer a bold matte finish rather than a sickly sweet shimmer. I already have fairly big lips and I don't need shimmer to make them look any bigger thank you make up companies!


Saying that, this recent acquisition, which I wore for Mark's birthday has a shimmer to it...Damn my 
generalisations! :P


Ah, the elusive 'perfect red lipstick'! Every year, MILLIONS of articles are written on how to find the perfect shade...My advice? I tried every single damn one on until I found one that suited me. 'Daredevil' has blue undertones that make it perfect for my dark hair and pale skin.


When I witter on about undertones I mean the underlying colour of the lipstick. Generally they are either blue or orange and you will see exactly what I mean when you stand in Boots comparing colours! HOWEVER, it is not necessary to fret too much about whether it suits you as the majority of people experimenting with lipstick have never worn it before. My mum HATES when I wear any of the colours shown above but I just like to mix and match and have a bit of fun...life's too short to worry about what everyone else is thinking! 

Check out the lovely Pink Bow and Afeitar for a masterclass in how to wear lipstick in the most fabulous way possible
Do you love or loathe lipstick? Does it empower you on a daily basis or is it just too much hassle?

3 comments

English Rose ♥ said...

Oooh I love the colours!!

Merci beaucoup for stopping by darlings, I hope you visit the blog again soon =]

Great blog by the way!

Stay safe and chic mes chéries,
English Rose x
http://iamanenglishrose.blogspot.com

daisychain said...

I have so many lipsticks, I need to wear them more!

Maria Fallon said...

I just love the fact that they make me feel more sophisticated and also manage to be fun at the same time...It's especially good at work, an antidote to the grey and black ;)

Maria xxxx