Chocolate and Charity Shops. Definitely not a LFW post...

... I've been catching up on the old blogroll these past couple of days, ooh-ing and aah-ing at the wonderful pictures from those lucky enough to go to London Fashion Week. Many of you have indeed been strutting your stuff down in Landan, ogling at models and putting a lot of them to shame in some wonderful outfits. I on the other hand have been eating my weight in chocolate and bagging some 95p bargains at the local charity shop. Glamorous. Anyhow, I thought I'd post a sort of LFW rebellion [not a shut-it-down-riot-sort of way, no no, I'd give anything to be there myself!] by sharing a moreish recipe that may scare a few models away, as well as a couple of cheap and cheerful purchases I found today in good old Sense. Classy, no?

Model repelling Macaroons 
[not gonna lie, I don't think even Kate could resist one of these. Nom.]
The best way to describe these is like a sort of cake- truffle. They're not too chocolatey, and just chewy enough to leave you wanting another. And another. And another. I stole the recipe from Nigella who may have started to annoy the hell out of me but sure makes a mean cookbook.

Ingredients
2 egg whites
200g ground almonds
30g cocoa powder
175g icing sugar

Method
Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 6 [200 degrees C] and line a tray with lashings of butter [or use one of those posh silicone sheets if you have one, these babies tend to stick]. Mix everything together [no need to beat the egg whites beforehand] until it becomes a thick, gooey consistency.
Fill a bowl with water and dip your fingers in before attempting to roll the mixture into rough balls. Don't try it without the water - you'll end up with half the mixture on your hands and then, very quickly in your mouth. Not that this happened to me. Nah a-ah...
Place the rolled macaroons onto the baking tray and bake in the oven for 11 minutes. When you bring them out they will probably seem very sticky, but they develop a wonderful crust as they cool. I'm actually salivating. Mmmmmmm.

295 on a handbag... pennies that is.

Oh. What a gigantic comb you have.

Now as much as I'd love [and I mean faint with excitement, never let it go kind of love] a Marc Jacobs handbag I don't think I could ever get over the idea of spending more than £30 on one. And let me be honest, at the moment even that price is extreme. However, give me a price tag like this one and I'll probably grab the thing without even blinking.

Okay, so it may only be an M&S orphan but I've more than willingly taken it on as my own. Marc can wait, for now. I also bought a navy belt to wear with my new camel things - it's a little big buut hopefully I'll have the belt knot down in no time :)

95p. WOOP!

So, that's my very un-fashion-weeky post. I hope everyone there is having a fab time, and will be blogging about it when they get back!


11 comments

Leia said...

Those look so yummy! And your bargains are awesome, I especially love that bag :)

Leia

Maria Fallon said...

thanks Leia- I do love a good bargain!

Danni
xxx

daisychain said...

epic bargains x

Maria Fallon said...

thanks hun, so good to see you back in the Blogosphere!!

Danni
xxx

Unknown said...

Charity shops are amazing! Though in London in charity shops products are as expensive as like New Look etc. I don't mean to be tight fisted when it comes to charity - but I'm a student.

The Acorn's charity shop in St.Peters where I live is amazing for bargins. Keep up the good work ladies.

Maria Fallon said...

Dawh thanks Sophie!! Don't feel bad- I've noticed a huge rise in most charity shop prices...they're struggling to compete with places like Primark 2bh.
I saw an Acorns today but never went in...i'll def have to venture there next time :)

Danni
xxx

Sherin said...

That bag is incredible!! I love it!! And god: those Macaroons look delicious.

Maria Fallon said...

Thanks Sherin! :D I was a bit shocked to find something..I'm usually at a bit of a loss when it comes to charity shopping!

Danni
xxx

Jaymie said...

mm thanks for sharing that recipe! i think i will be making them they look gorge.
and i love charity shop dirt cheap belts theyre the best!
Jaymie x

Christina said...

Wow! What great finds! That bag is just beautiful.

Love Christina x

Maria Fallon said...

Christina- thank yoou! It's actually really awkward to fit anything in there, but hey. It looks pretty!

Danni
xxx